Thursday, 13 October 2011

The Garden Route

We have now hired a car and are driving along a famous part of South Africa called the Garden Route. It's famous because it is a very pretty long drive. If you were to drive it in one go it would take about 10 hours which is the same I think if you drove from Virginia Water to Scotland. Fergus you have family in Scotland. How long does it take you? We took 6days which is nearly a week to drive it as we stopped off at some pretty towns and had some lovely walks along the beaches.

Along the route we saw some more whales and visited some wineries which is where they make wine. I wasn't allowed to try any wine as I'm too young so I stuck to water and juice. Mr Maynard and Tim had fun. Do you know what fruit wine is made from? Grapes. I learnt a lot about wine making while I was there.



One of my favourite day was when we visited a place called Tsitikamma. We did a very long walk here along the beach and saw some waves that left us all breathless. Some where so high that they would have been higher than your school. How crazy is that. I enjoyed sitting and watching them from a safe distance though. I was very tired at the end of the day as my legs are not as long as Mrs Maynard or Tim's. I slept very well that night.





Have any of you done surfing before? If so you would have really like a beach that we went to called Jeffery's bay. It is very famous for it's surf as the waves are perfect for surfing and body boarding.

I really wanted to have a go but because I still wear arms bands Mrs Maynard decided this probably wasn't a good idea. So Tim and I enjoyed writing in the sand.



That day Mrs Maynard seemed to really enjoy just sitting on the beach and watching the surfers in the water and instructors teach. I think maybe she was taking notes for when she next does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment